[cups.general] Problem printing pdf document

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Sep 7 05:50:46 PDT 2006

Franz Pfoertsch wrote:
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>On Sep 6 11:59 Franz Pfoertsch wrote (shortened):
>>
>>>I try to print a pdf-document with embeded chinese fonts.
>>>Acrobat Reader showes everything, when I try to printout this document
>>>the printer stops with a postscript error.
>>
>>I.e. you use a PostScript printer and the PostScript interpreter
>>in this printer fails (either because there is a bug in the
>>printer's PostScript interpreter or - more likely - the PostScript
>>which is sent to the printer is broken or at least "problematic"
>>e.g. when PostScript level 3 fonts are sent to a PostScript level 2
>>printer).
>>

>>Try to print it directly from the Adobe Reader (you can choose
>>the PostScript level in the Adobe Reader print dialog).
>>

> It worked without changing the ps level
>
>>Try to convert it to PostScript using the Adobe Reader.
>>For example, the command
>>"acroread -toPostScript -size a4 <file.pdf >file.ps"
>>can be used to convert a PDF file into a PostScript file
>>that can be sent directly to a PostScript printer.
>>The command "acroread -help" shows the command line options.
>>

> This worked!
>

>>Try to convert it with Ghostscript to PostScript (preferably
>>level 2 or even level 1), see for example
>>http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
>>
>>Have a look at
>>http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Configuration_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.1_on
>>regarding "foomatic-rip pre-filter"
>>
>>Note that when Ghostscript fails to process it, it is very likely
>>a broken PDF. Use for example "gs -sDEVICE=x11 -r60 file.pdf"
>>to display it ([Enter] for next page, [Ctrl]+[C] to quit)
>>and note if there appear Ghostscript error messages.
>
> This breaks
> gs -sDEVICE=x11 -r60 beleg.pdf
> ESP Ghostscript 8.15 (2005-09-22)
> Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
> This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
> Processing pages 1 through 1.
> Page 1
>    **** Warning: Embedded symbolic TT fonts must contain a cmap for
> Platform=1 Encoding=0.
> Error: /invalidfont in --show--
> Operand stack:
>    --dict:5/5(L)--
>
> I made some more test with pswrite on SLES9 GS 7.07 and it worked!
>
> regards
> Franz

I suspect the error is due to differently implemented TT rasterisers.
The Adobe Type42 spec lists a couple of resrictions for how to convert
the TT font into a valid Type42 font. Maybe the Type42 generator of
xpdf (which is the basis for CUPS' pdftops filter) still has some
quirks.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke