[cups.general] Problem printing pdf document

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Sep 8 01:22:09 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Sep 7 08:50 Helge Blischke wrote (shortened):
> Franz Pfoertsch wrote:
> > Johannes Meixner wrote:
> >
> >>Note that when Ghostscript fails to process it, it is very likely
> >>a broken PDF. Use for example "gs -sDEVICE=x11 -r60 file.pdf"
> >>to display it ([Enter] for next page, [Ctrl]+[C] to quit)
> >>and note if there appear Ghostscript error messages.
> >
> > This breaks
> > gs -sDEVICE=x11 -r60 beleg.pdf
> > ESP Ghostscript 8.15 (2005-09-22)
> > Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
> > This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
> > Processing pages 1 through 1.
> > Page 1
> >    **** Warning: Embedded symbolic TT fonts must contain a cmap for
> > Platform=1 Encoding=0.
> > Error: /invalidfont in --show--
> > Operand stack:
> >    --dict:5/5(L)--
> >
> > I made some more test with pswrite on SLES9 GS 7.07 and it worked!
>
> I suspect the error is due to differently implemented TT rasterisers.
> The Adobe Type42 spec lists a couple of resrictions for how to convert
> the TT font into a valid Type42 font. Maybe the Type42 generator of
> xpdf (which is the basis for CUPS' pdftops filter) still has some
> quirks.

Franz reported that Ghostscript 8.x failed to process the PDF
(and Ghostscript 7.x worked) but I don't understand how this
is related to xpdf?

For me it looks like a problem in Ghostscript 8.x.
In particular why does it abort because of a "Warning"?
Or is the warning unrelated to the actual "Error"?
Or does it perhaps skip the font definition because of the warning
and then it fails later with an error because the font is missing?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de