HP DesignJet 1050 prints too short

Franz Pfoertsch franz.pfoertsch at brose.net
Fri Sep 8 03:22:19 PDT 2006

I try to give a short explanation.

Be carefull it depends on the mime.type an mime.conv

1. You put it to the spooler by lp <file.pdf>
2. The spooler detects pdf (mime.type) and convert it to ps using pdftops
(defined at mime.conv).
3. now cups is doing something inside of pstops
3a. is your printer not a ps printer the datastream is converted to
    something usefull for the printer (pstopcl/pstolabel/..).
4. The printerdatastream is transferd to the printer via the backend
   (socket/ipp/usb/...

Thats it.

If something is wrong somebody shoud correct me.

regards
Franz