[cups.general] OT: PDF versions (was: Problem printing pdf document)

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Sep 8 06:25:06 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Sep 8 09:18 Ambrose Li wrote (shortened):
> I kept generating the lowest-versioned (and I believe lowest-featured
> possible) PDF's for a long time.  Until someone complained that my
> PDF's could not be read at all in his NEW reader. I did the testing
> and confirmed that old-versioned ("low-featured") PDF's can indeed
> cause (Chinese-related) problems in new readers.

Being not backward-compatible in a "portable" data format is evil.
But I guess the PDF specification actually is backward-compatible
(I don't know for sure - I am no PDF expert) and only the NEW
topmost-high-level-make-user-happy-featured reader is not.

> So what do you do?

It's hopeless ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner