Cant get client to print

bill buttling billbuttling at wanadoo.fr
Sat Sep 9 02:30:22 PDT 2006

I have searched high and low and tried what must be every conceivable cupsd.conf arrangement and variable but I cannot get my portable running PCLinuxOS to print to my Canon printer attached to my Fedora 5 desktop.
I can see the printer from the client and it will send a print file to it with no error message coming back but the access log in the cups interface - localhost:631 - just has the following line repeated as the client tries to print - client lan address 10.0.0.5

10.0.0.5 - - [08/Sep/2006:18:27:04 +0200] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 403 0 - -

This is repeated every 30 secs and the 403 error is access denied I believe.

I can print locally and also from 2 other portables running XP through both the lan and the wireless network by using the protocol "http://10.0.0.1:631/printers/Canon" with no problem.

So why the f*ck wont my linux portable print to my linux controlled cups server - I have spent days on this and am really pissed !

Here is my cupsd.conf
<Location /printers/Canon>
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
AuthType None
Allow from All
</Location>
Browsing On
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowseOrder Deny,Allow
BrowseAllow from @LOCAL
BrowseAddress 255.255.255.255
Listen *:631

OK Gurus where to now ? Why is cups such a sh*t to get configured, it should be easy and the documentation sucks.

I shall be calmer after some more beer !