[cups.general] Question re printing big files in duplex from ar7.05

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 12 08:22:58 PDT 2006

Greetings;

I loaded up the printer, trying to print the latest version of the advanced
bash scripting book using acroread-7.05, selecting the usual lp2, the
quick draft (360x360 full color) version of my elderly C82, which for some
unk reason refuses to die on epsons schedule.  Cups is 1.1.23, using the
gutenprint-5.0-rc2 ppds which have been working nicely now for about a
year.

I set it for even pages, forward order, so there are 254 pages to process.

According to localhost:631 printers display, its currently processing page
248, and the output file in /var/spool/cups/tmp is just above half a gig.
That in itself is not a problem as I have a 10GB partition on a seperate
drive as /var.  Its also reporting the odd pages too if I refresh the page
in FF frequently.  I don't recall seeing that behaviour before.

But the printer hasn't started yet!  Is it normal for it to buffer the
whole job like that?  I certainly don't recall it working in this manner
before.

Hummm, while I'm typing this, the printer finally started, on page 2 as
requested.  Weirdsville.

Comments anybody?  As in this is normal behaviour? Oh, and I'm using beh
too.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)