HP DesignJet 1050 prints too short

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Sep 13 05:03:56 PDT 2006

Noam wrote:
> So I went back to the roots...
>
> I tried to print out an A1 drawing on the Oce400 printer. I first checked that the drawing is really A1 by opening it with Acrobat Reader and looking at the info. By its size it is an A1.
>
> Than I converted the pdf into a ps (pdftops) without using any attributes and then I sent the following command to the printer over the shell: lp -d Ocr-400TDS02 06-430400.ps
>
> What I got was an A3 print. Hmm....
>
> My printer is configured as follows:
> Resolution: 600 dpi
> Roll Switch: on
> Collate: on
> Media Size: A0
> Media source: Roll 2 (even that I have both installed)
> Media Type: Plain Paper
> Print Mode: Poster Mode
> Roll 2: installed
> No banners are used.
>
> Can any of you guys/girls see something wrong about my configuration?
> I connect to the printed over lpd: lpd://my.great.ip.address/OceTDS400PS
>
> Than I sent the same ps-file to the DesignJet1050 printer. Like this: lp -d DesignJet_1050C 06-430400.ps
>
> What I got had technically the size of an A1. BUT: the bottom side of the print was missing about 2cm  and the print was wrongly rotated so I can’t use it since it is not possible to correctly fold such a print (before delivering it to the client). When the printer was configured to: “scale to format: A0” Only about a third of the drawing was printed. The print was wrongly placed on the paper and the rotation was wrong as well.
>
> My printer is configured as follows:
> It is in German so I will do my best to translate...
>
> Print color as gray tone: no
> Color management: non
> Print mirrored: no
> Half toner through application: don’t allow
> Brightness: unchanged
> Rotate: yes
> Scale to format: non
> Print priority: contrast
> Print quality: normal
> Media size: A0
> Media source: Roll
> Installed memory: standard
> No banners were used
> PS Binary Protocol: TBCP
>
> Can you people see anything strange in my configuration?
>
> I will be glad to send you the drawing if you are interested in checking it out. I don’t know if any of you people own such big plotters but maybe there is some chance...
>
> Maybe if you get the same results I would know the problem lies on the file. What I personally don’t believe since when printed from a windows client it can be easily fitted to any desired page size.
>
> What do you say?
>
> Noam
>

>>Helge Blischke wrote:

>>>The fitplot option has originally been designed for the hpgltops filter
>>>but is valid for
>>>the pstops filter from a certain version on (I don't remember from which
>>>one)

> [...]

You should pst (an URL to) the PPDs you use with both printers and
the printer specific driver software you use (foomatic-rip, gimp-print,
gutenpring, or whatsoever).
AFAIK both printers are not native PostScript printers, and I suspect
some of the media size and/or transformation information gets lost on the
way from PDF/PS to the printer(s).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke