[cups.general] very strange dot-matrix printer problem: randomly wrong print result (ghostscript-esc p2)

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Sep 13 06:00:29 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Sep 13 18:43 ??? wrote (shortened):
> Ah, I have a good argument on why it is not the parallel port problem.
> When the printer start to act strange, if I go to gnome-control-panel
> and click 'printers' (as root), change properties of the current printer
> and switch it from parallel to a samba share point on a Windows
> computer, plug the printer to the Windows computer, save settings and
> then print through smb share of Windows, the printer result is also
> wrong in the same way, same behavior as directly plug it into parallel
> port.

I have no idea what could make it print wrong in the printing system
(i.e. in CUPS and/or in its filters) because for each new print job
the filters are started anew as new processes (i.e. nothing is left
from previous jobs in the filters).

You may have a look in the /var/log/cups/error_log file for suspicious
messages, see our documentation
/usr/share/doc/manual/suselinux-manual_en/manual/sec.drucken.prob.html
"11.7.9. Debugging the CUPS Print System"
which is also described at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"If problems are encountered"

Check if the messages differ for correctly printed jobs and for
the job when it starts to fail and for subsequent jobs.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de