[cups.general] Fwd: very strange dot-matrix printer problem: randomly wrong print result (ghostscript-esc p2)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Sep 13 10:15:58 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 12:38, Ambrose Li wrote:
>[It looks like the CUPS mailing list's spam filters are misconfigured.
>Without any additional info, it looks like it is blindly rejecting
>mails in the GB2312 charset. Whoever in charge of the spam filters
>please fix them. Thanks.]

Another thing that bitten me before, and I'm reminded of it by the OP's
statement about using the parport, is the write pulse and the valid data
times on the parport are too narrow, and by the time it actually gets a
logic zero thru the fcc mandated per pin rc filtering in the printer, the
lag has compromised the data.

This was particularly troublesome with the 2nd generation of the shacks dmp
printers, rendering them quite worthless even for raw text if the port
wasn't latched down till the printer actually issued the ack.  Most
drivers bypass that ack check as it can cut the transfer speeds quite
noticably.  I had a situation where the write strobe and the data was
valid was derived from the cpu clock and was only .5 u-secs wide.  I had
to open the printer, and cut one of the two .005 ceramic caps free on
every active pin of its centronix port.  That was a major improvement but
still miss-fired occasionally.  It was also good enough that it drove me
to go spend $700 on a decent epson since it was obvious I could never get
even cartoon quality color out of that POJ.  Epsons first ink squirter, a
Stylus Pro.

Such deep digging into the hardware with an oscilloscope is of course not
for the technically challenged.  And since that pin pounder now probably
has enough mileage on it the quality is going downhill, pin wear etc, the
OP would probably be far better off at the end of the day to go get a new
epson c88 or similar printer. USB driven, does excelent photographic color
& even with a full set of spare ink cartridges, probably less than he paid
for the pin pounder when it was new.

If however he needs the tractor feed to handle forms, I'm not aware of an
ink squirter that has a tractor feed, so the OP may be stuck.  Maybe this
might be a clue he could have checked.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)