[cups.general] very strange dot-matrix printer problem: randomly wrong print result (ghostscript-esc p2)

张韡武 zhangweiwu at realss.com
Thu Sep 14 00:00:32 PDT 2006

在 2006-09-14四的 08:47 +0200,Johannes Meixner写道:
> Hello,
>
> On Sep 14 14:04 ??? wrote (shortened):
> > Two more 'wrong' page I printed today, someone really into printer
> > technology might tell something from it?
> >
> > gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/I/users/weiwu/epson_lq-300_incorrect_chinese_output.png
> > gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/I/users/weiwu/epson_lq-300_incorrect_english_output.png
>
> Both do not look as if there are data transmission errors
> because then you would get totally random nonsense printed,
> usually a seemingly endless sequence of random ASCII characters.
>
> In your case it looks as if either the driver has problems to produce
> the right printer specific graphical data or the printer itself
> has problems to print them.
> The Ghostscript driver "epson" is a very old one which is working o.k.
> since ages for many Epson dot matrix printers. Therefore I think
> it is not the Ghostscript driver but perhaps the printer itself?

Thank you for this information. In my case we have many such model of
Epson printers, this problem is common, we can reproduce this problem on
different printer and on different SuSE 10.1 linux desktop computer.

> You wrote that your special Epson dot matrix printer does
> not print plain ASCII text directly like
> echo -en '\rHello\r\f' >/dev/lp0
> (carriage return + "Hello" + carriage return + formfeed)

This is printed 100% correctly. What is printed incorrectly is
echo '\r中文\r\f' > /dev/lp0
Because Chinese text is in it.

I also tried to print almost 20 pages of plain ASCII text, all of them
are correct.

> If it cannot print this, your special Epson dot matrix printer is
> somewhat strange because as far as I know, any Epson dot matrix
> printer can print plain ASCII text directly.

Yes :)

> Can you remove the Chinese font cartdridge from your printer
> (or whatever additional cartdridge there is) and then retry
> the above "echo..." test and retry to print plain ASCII text
> via your print queue (i.e. via the Ghostscript driver in
> graphics mode) e.g.:
> echo 'Hello' | lp -d <queuename>

I don't know how to remove Chinese font, looks like something made into
the machine. I'll see if I can do it. Thanks!