Sharing printers with Windows and Mac (9 and X)

garycarroll garycarroll at charter.net
Thu Sep 14 15:31:51 PDT 2006

Newbie trying to set up a Fedora Core 5 box to be a print server to
support Macs (both OS 9.2 and X) and Windows clients, printing to a
Konica Minolta c350 color mfp. I have the FC5 box printing to the KMc350
fine, set up by using the CUPS GUI browser interface
"http://localhost:631/".
One problem occurs when I try to use the GUI to "publish" the printer.
The GUI has a section labeled “basic server settings” with checkboxes for :
“Share printers shared by other systems” (checked),
“Share published printers connected to this system” (unchecked),
“Allow remote administration” (unchecked),
“Allow users to cancel any job [not just their own] ” (unchecked), and
“Save debugging information for troubleshooting” (unchecked).

I check:
“Share published printers connected to this system” and
“Allow users to cancel any job [not just their own]”
then click the “change settings” button. The system asks for authorized
account and password, and I supply root. The screen asks me to wait
while the server restarts, then firefox displays “unable to connect”
when it cannot reconnect to localhost:631 due to CUPS not restarting.
Looking around reveals CUPS cannot restart because /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
is now an empty file. Replacing the contents of the file with the saved
version and restarting CUPS gets me back to where I was.

What gives? Is it not a good idea to use the browser GUI? What could I
have done wrong?

The /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file looks like it could be edited manually,
but it’s not clear to a Linux newbie exactly what some entries should
be. For instance, I interpret the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf line “listen
localhost:631” to mean that CUPS will only accept jobs originating on
the local machine and sent to port 631. (I suppose it COULD mean it will
accept jobs from other machines that were sent to port 631 on the local
machine…?)
If I want to accept jobs from other machines, should I change this to
“listen 192.168.1.*:631” ? Nope, error log says this is bad.
“listen @LOCAL:631” ? No, that’s not allowed either.
“listen *:631”  is accepted, but that seems somewhat … broad.

The clients I want to serve are 192.168.1.(*), and I want to accept LPR
jobs from Windows, IPP jobs from OSX (probably will happen
automatically), and possible Appletalk jobs from the 9.2, though I
suspect they will all be able to send LPR also. If there is an “easy”
button for this, I would be grateful for someone pointing it out.

Thanks in advance.