[cups.general] Chinese users, use UTF-8, or at least GB18030

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 09:18:39 PDT 2006

The only problem with this is that this server hosts cups at easysw.com
which is a mailing list for USERS, and some users are going to be
Chinese.

Some people put their Chinese name in "From". So when a Chinese person
tries to send a question (or when someone tries to reply to a Chinese
person), the posting is blocked if the software defaults to GB2312 for
Chinese.

And if you are not a sysadmin, you will likely have absolutely no idea
why you can't send mail. Most users don't have the slightest clue how
to read bounces.

This certainly looks very appealing on the surface; it looks equally
appealing for me to block all Korean/Japanese/Russian/you-name-it
charsets. But I don't do that because of the above reason. You just
never know, especially if the server is hosting a users' mailing list.

--
cheers,
-ambrose