unavailable printer used in class

Harvey hchapman-cups at 3gfp.com
Fri Sep 15 09:54:30 PDT 2006

I'm running cups-1.2.3 on Mac OS X.4.7. I have a class called bwprinter which contains two printers (one at home, one at work). With the older cups that came with OS X (1.1.2?), the print jobs would always sit in the queue for quite a while, but then would eventually print. I upgraded and now the round-robin is sending jobs to both printers and the jobs for the unavailable printer will sit there indefinitely.

All of my printers always have Printer State of "idle, accepting jobs, published." I have a mix of printer connection types: usb, mdns, jetdirect(socket). I would think at a minimum cups should be able to detect that the usb printers are unavailable when not attached physically. Is printer state just the state of the "queue" and not of the actual printer itself? Is there a way to tie the Printer State to the actual printer's status?

Thanks,

Harvey