[cups.general] Chinese users, use UTF-8, or at least GB18030

Ambrose Li ambrose.li at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 22:14:39 PDT 2006

On 15/09/06, Bob Rosenberg <askbob at rarpsl.com> wrote:
> >We're not going to change our message filters, sorry.

I am not telling you to change your message filters. No need to be sorry.

My point is, your assumption is that because you are "not doing
business with China", GB2312 is safe to block. But you failed to
realize that because Chinese users are on the CUPS mailing list, there
are legitimate mails in the GB2312 charset.

This sounds to be as exactly the same mindset when you talked about
stopping the print queue because your users treat "not losing the
print job" as the definition of "reliable printing", but failing to
realize that for some people, this kind of behaviour is exactly the
definition of "unreliable printing".

When I first knew about CUPS, I thought all the formal specs were very
impressive. But the more I use it, the more I feel that despite these
formal specs, there seem to be more and more of a disconnect between
CUPS and the users.

--
cheers,
-ambrose