CUPS & HEARTBEAT

Bernd Krumböck <b.krumboeck@rewe-group.at> Bernd Krumböck <b.krumboeck@rewe-group.at>
Sun Sep 17 01:42:38 PDT 2006

HAY <lionel.hay at agriculture.gouv.fr> wrote:

> HI !
>
> I am building a redundancy cluster with heartbeat and cups
> My first server is running cups and my printers, all is fine.
> My second server doesn't run cups as long as the first server failed
> When my first server is off, the second is not available for printing in
spite of cups is running ?? (connecting impossible)
> I have read something about 'classes' of printer, for this sort of problem,
but it doesn't work ?
> Could you help me ?
> thanks

Some things you should check when using heartbeat:
Does both CUPS Server listen on the same virtual IP address?
Are they configured to use the same server name?
Is the virtual IP started before CUPS starts?
How do you keep the configuration in sync?

Implicit Classes:
You don't need heartbeat for a failover configuration.
http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/overview.html (chapter "Network Printing")

You only need two cups servers which have the same printers configured. The
client needs to run a cups daemon which has browsing enabled.

best regards!
Bernd