lpoptions on server not being used on client jobs

Jonathan Dobbie jonathan_dobbie at mcad.edu
Wed Sep 20 11:57:24 PDT 2006

We want our printing system to work like this:
1: student prints to SB_Film_Queue
2: student walks to imac with cups server and hits release
3: job prints

We have a nearly identical setup with cups 1.1, and I have tried to mirror it, but the clients ignore the server lpotions file.  I have tried it with cups 1.1, 1.2 and the newest weekly.

>From the machine, everything works fine, but from other machines, the job is not being held.  If someone knows of an easier way to accomplish this, that'd be great too.

Clients are OSX 10.4
The printer is added with
sudo lpadmin -p SB_Film_Queue -v "http://150.1.42.146:631/classes/SB_Film_Queue" -P "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/HP LaserJet 5100 Series.gz" -E
--classes.conf---
<DefaultClass SB_Film_Queue>
Info Film Printer Queue
Location SB Office
State Idle
StateTime 1158777914
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
Printer hp_test
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy retry-job
</Class>
---printers.conf----
<Printer hp_test>
Info HP 5100 for abuse
Location SB Office
DeviceURI socket://150.253.42.232
State Idle
StateTime 1158777848
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>
---cupsd.conf
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup lpadmin root
Port 631
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all</Location>
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Basic
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
</Location>
<Policy default>
  <Limit Release-Held-New-Jobs Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @LOCAL
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>