lpoptions on server not being used on client jobs

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Sep 20 12:16:37 PDT 2006

Jonathan Dobbie wrote:
> We want our printing system to work like this:
> 1: student prints to SB_Film_Queue
> 2: student walks to imac with cups server and hits release
> 3: job prints
>
> We have a nearly identical setup with cups 1.1, and I have tried to mirror it, but the clients ignore the server lpotions file.  I have tried it with cups 1.1, 1.2 and the newest weekly.
>
> From the machine, everything works fine, but from other machines, the job is not being held.  If someone knows of an easier way to accomplish this, that'd be great too.

CUPS only uses the local lpoptions file, but more importantly the
lpoptions stuff will *not* be used when printing from a GUI
application (Apple does their own thing for printer settings).

If you server is running CUPS 1.2 or higher, use:

    lpadmin -p printername -o job-hold-until-default=indefinite

to hold jobs by default.