Windows clients of CUPS - newbie question

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Sep 22 03:56:24 PDT 2006

Can someone point me to an introductory document about having Windows XP clients of CUPS (with a CUPS server on Unix, actually Solaris). One rather nice thing about Unix/Linux clients of a CUPS print server - which clients themselves run CUPS schedulers - is that one need not configure the printers on each client (which fact is very familiar to CUPS users). I'm not a Windows administrator, but there are some Windows XP desktops here, and it would be nice to have them auto-configure printers just as our Linux desktops now do.

Can this be done without Samba? I suppose that the problem here is having Windows printer drivers provided automatically to the desktops. With Samba - which we do run here - is there a Samba component or configuration which can be used to transfer print requests from Windows clients to the CUPS print server?

John A. Murdie