Windows clients of CUPS - newbie question

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Sep 22 04:25:52 PDT 2006

> You do not need samba for using the windows printer wizzard.
> Just select the print server and the desired printers to use with
> windows.  Of course the windows user can edit the printer options.
> Unattended installation under windows can be done with your normal
> windows tools, whatever you may use for the distribution of win
> applications (snapshot, zen, image, etc).
>
> --
>

> Gruss / Cheers
>
> Robert

Thanks, Robert. My problem is that I don't want the Windows users to have to edit the printer options. Yes, as soon as CUPS ran on a Unix server here the Windows XP desktop users were able to print to it, but only if we hand-created the printers with 'Add printer' first. This machine was then cloned so that all the Windows XP desktops had the printers. I'm not knowlegeable about Windows, as I say - someone else here takes care of that.

What I'd really like to know about is auto-discovery of CUPS printers by Windows XP clients. A colleague here has passed me the chapter on CUPS in the Samba manual, which I'll read. I'm just wondering if Windows XP can do  IPP printer autodiscovery by itself, without Samba, and what the advantages/disadvantages of using Samba in this situation is.

John A. Murdie