Change username in job

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Sep 23 11:55:14 PDT 2006

Dieter Schicker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a small problem with cups. Before I begin let me say that I'm not a cups expert at all, just using (and loving) it. ;-)
>
> Let me explain:
>
> 1. I got a linux workstation that prints via cups to a print server
> running cups. I'm logged in as user "dilino".
> 2. In this linux workstation I have vmware running in NAT mode with
> Windows XP. It's a very downsized installation of Windows XP (we only
> need it for testing purposes with Internet Exploiter and some VB
> scripting) with only one user account named "labwin". This user gets
> logged in automatically in Win XP (because the authorization is already
> done in the underlying linux). For this user I added a printer with the
> following device URI "http://local.ip:631/printers/HP_Laserjet_8150" and
> tried to print.
>
> What happens until now is that the jobs arrives at the local linux spool
> and gets "forwarded" to the machine running the cups server
> under the username "labwin".
>
> => Question: Is there a possibility to "rewrite" the username from
> "labwin" to the linux user "dilino" (username can vary!) "on the fly" and then submit the job so that the job arrives at the print server with username "dilino".
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Many thanks in advance
> Dieter
Not by simple configuration. But you could set up a CUPS sever on your workstation and define
a raw "printer" that uses a shell(Perl/Python/ or whatever)-script as a backend that
simply executes a lp (or lpr) command as the user you want to sorward the print job
unchanged to your print server.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke