OS X MxN Copies Information

Dave Maxwell frogstar_robot at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 08:16:09 PDT 2006

I've been struggling with OS X clients printing to IPP shared printers on a Linux server.   The biggest complaint is that users get the square of however many copies they request.  If they ask for 4 copies then 16 are printed.  I was using Apple's generic Postscript driver to print to the queues.  The printers are Samsung and HP units.  The jobs are handed off to port 9100 JetDirect servers in the printer.

I have found a formula that prevents the MxN problems.

1. Version 1.2.3 of CUPS on the server.

2. Version 1.2.4 of CUPS installed on the client replacing Apple's 1.1 version of CUPs

3. HP's latest ppds installed on the client and set as the ppd used on the client.  Deliberately using a recent HP ppd to print to a Samsung cures the MxN problem as well.

Evidently, part of the problem is addressed by recent versions of CUPS on server and client.  However, some of the problem is caused by the ppd used on the client to send to a queue.

Hopefully this will help some people and provide some insight into a more general solution to the problem.