Deleting Jobs from Windows

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Sep 27 09:01:30 PDT 2006

> I've seen this discussed in a couple places already, but I have yet to succeed in getting it to work.
>
> I'm running CUPS 1.1.23 with Windows XP IPP clients.  Whenever I try to cancel a job from the Windows client I always get the message:
>
> E [27/Sep/2006:11:23:10 -0400] cancel_job: "anonymous" not authorized to delete job id 20 owned by "USER"!
>
> Is this a Windows client issue or a CUPS server issue?  If it's a Windows client issue, does anyone know of any non-obvious settings to get Windows to submit the username for the cancel, it obviously does when it submits the job.
>
> If it's a CUPS server issue, are there any settings or patches that will allow the passing of this information?
>
> James Klaas

Have you looked under the 'Ports' tab of the configuration window (which shows Port "http://printserver:631/printers/foo", Description "Internet port", Printer = "foo", which is highlighted, and pressing "Configure port" - it probably should have  "Automatically use the Windows logon name and password" checked rather than "Use anonymous account". I think that this assumes that (if you are using CUPS basic authentication) the user name on the trusted Windows XP client is the same as on the CUPS server. (Am I right?)

I'd like to know if you did anything special to make it possible for you to see jobs (sent for printing) in the Windows print queue list box - all I see is the error message " succeed in getting it to work.

> I'm running CUPS 1.1.23 with Windows XP IPP clients.  Whenever I try to cancel a job from the Windows client I always get the message:
>
> E [27/Sep/2006:11:23:10 -0400] cancel_job: "anonymous" not authorized to delete job id 20 owned by "USER"!
>
> Is this a Windows client issue or a CUPS server issue?  If it's a Windows client issue, does anyone know of any non-obvious settings to get Windows to submit the username for the cancel, it obviously does when it submits the job.
>
> If it's a CUPS server issue, are there any settings or patches that will allow the passing of this information?
>
> James Klaas

Have you looked under the 'Ports' tab of the configuration window (which shows Port "http://printserver:631/printers/foo", Description "Internet port", Printer = "foo", which is highlighted, and pressing "Configure port" - it probably should have  "Automatically use the Windows logon name and password" checked rather than "Use anonymous account". Is this your problem? I think that this assumes that (if you are using CUPS basic authentication) the user name on the trusted Windows XP client is the same as on the CUPS server. (Am I right, folks who know more about CUPS than I do?)

I'd like to know if you did anything special to make it possible for you to see jobs (sent for printing) in the Windows print queue list box, in order to delete them - all I ever see, although I can print from XP, is the error message "foo on http://printserver:631 Failed to open, retyring". This is the subject of a thread I opened in cups.general (this newsgroup) called "Windows clients of CUPS - newbie question".

John A. Murdie