raw printers cannot use file: devices

Binh Nguyen binh25 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 23:18:42 PDT 2006

Hi all
I'm having problems getting cups(1.2.4) to work on Solaris 10 x86.
using raw printer via backend script

I setup a printer called email and the uri for it is a script that will encode the file and email to me.

lpadmin -p email -m raw  -v file:/email.sh
the printer configure ok but when I come to use it, i got this error

raw printers cannot use file: devices
and the job is sitting in a pending state in the job control panel.

Anyway I pull out an old package that comes with the solaris companion disk (cups 1.1.21) and setup the same printer and it works fine.

Is there something I need to do to 1.2.4 to make it work?
I compile cups 1.2.4 from the source using Sun Compiler(Sun Studio).
with configure --prefix=/opt/cups-1.2.4

Regards
Binh