CUPS 1.2.2 and LaserJet 2100 (PostScript Level 2)

Patric p123t at gmx.de
Thu Sep 28 00:12:52 PDT 2006

Hello CUPS Community!

I recently installed Ubuntu 6.06 with CUPS 1.2.2 and I'm facing problems with a LaserJet 2100 PostScript printer. Everything I get out is a lot of junk.

The reason seems to be, that this printer is not capable of printing PS level 3 (it support 1 and 2 only), but the CUPS filter programs generate level 3 PS files. I had a look at the source of pstops and texttops and in both you'll find

puts("%!PS-Adobe-3.0");

hardcoded. It doesn't matter the PPD file states this printer being a level 2 printer (LanguageLevel=2). According to error_log the PPD is read but however the supported level is not evaluated.

The question is now, how can I print on a PS level 2 printer using CUPS?

Thanks for any support!

Regards
    Patric