Job-hold-until, SSL, web admin mod on MAC OS X ?????

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Sep 28 06:43:48 PDT 2006

Phil Krochmal wrote:
> Then this begs two questions, then for changing that setting. Number
> one, is there anyone that can give me the steps on how to compile
> CUPS from the source on a MAC OS X 10.4.6 server.

If you read the documentation that comes with the source tarball
(specifically the file called INSTALL.txt), you'll have the
instructions you seek.

 > Number two, what is
> the estimated time for the release of CUPS 1.3? I am just guessing it
> is something past December at the earliest?

It should start beta testing before that; the major new feature
(Kerberos support) is already in, and it is just a matter of
committing a few other new features before we start beta testing.
We want to push a new minor release out every 6 months or so instead
of the old 2-3 year cycle...

> Also, a side question, is CUPS setup to do Raster Image Processing by
> default? If not, then how can I do this? This is with regards to
> wanting to speed up the processing time on the two HP DesignJet 800's
> that handle both PostScript and HPGL (aka CAD) printing. If anyone
> can help on this little point, I would be most appreciated with their
> knowledge being poured forth for the all to learn.

CUPS (and more specifically on Mac OS X, the CoreGraphics filters)
will rasterize print data for PPDs and drivers that require it.  You
can find out by looking for cupsFilter lines in the PPD file for the
printer (/private/etc/cups/ppd/printername.ppd).

> Finally, I have preformed the lpadmins command, but I need to setup
> the system to share out to windows systems. Until I setup that, I
> will not be able to test my setup. I figure it should be working
> today or tommorrow for testing. The web interface is not accessable
> from outside the server. The firewall is not on, but even then I
> should still be able to access the base HTTP part of the CUPS
> interface. I am working to remedy this problem as well.

Make sure that you have turned printer sharing on; if you have the
1.2 CUPS installed, use the web interface locally to change that
(http://localhost:631)