share via appletalk (papd.conf problem?)

Gary Carroll root at localhost.localdomain
Thu Sep 28 06:58:16 PDT 2006

FC5:
I am successfully sharing IPP to Windows and Mac OSX. I have also
temporarily enabled LPR sharing for testing. I also need to share to Mac
OS 9.x clients via Appletalk, but am unsuccessful at this.

I have confirmed printers are shared LPR by creating an LPR port on a
Windows machine and printing to it. However, using the Apple Desktop
Printer Utility on the 9.x Macs to create an LPR printer seems to work,
but printing fails with the message that eh printer is not accepting jobs.

I cannot set up Appletalk printer because Chooser does not see any shared
printers. I know that Appletalk services are running properly on the
Linux box because I can access the shared directory via Appleshare from
the OS 9.x Mac.

I am guessing Appletalk printing fails because of an error in papd.conf,
specifically, the cupsautoadd line.
I have tried:
cupsautoadd
cupsautoadd:op=root:
cupsautoadd@*:op=root:

I have no zones, and simply want to share via appletalk the cups printers.
What am I doing wrong?