Browsing No - causes high CPU use on client

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Sep 28 11:34:38 PDT 2006

angelb wrote:
>>> Hello all.
>>>
>>> Under CUPS 1.2.4, when Browsing is set to No in a client system, CPU
>>> use spikes to the roof:
>> Hmm, I'd guess that the BrowsePoll is causing the problem - they
>> shouldn't be used at all when Browsing is turned off...
>>
>> Please file a STR:
>>
>>      http://www.cups.org/str.php
>>

> We use BrowsePoll for our clients and so Browsing is set to Yes.
>
> If the client use BrowsePoll, is there still a need for the Browsing
> directive?

Yes, polling is implemented as a helper app which transmits the
results back to the scheduler via a UDP packet sent to 127.0.0.1 on
port 631.  This a) allows the scheduler to keep doing its work and
b) avoids yet another interface with the scheduler.

If you set Browsing to No, then the scheduler has no way of receiving
the printers that have been polled... :)