[cups.general] CUPS with Dell laser print 1700 & HP color laserjet 1500 / No output at all

Peo Nilsson per-olof.nilsson at comhem.se
Thu Sep 28 11:45:46 PDT 2006

Hi list!

I´ve just installed Suse 10.0 at my friends place. (I convinced him that
running
Linux is far better than M$. My friends system is up running perfectly.
The problem I have is that he has a small company and therefore have
more stuff
connected than I have, and I cant get this extra hardware to run (yet).

1 Dell laser print 1700 (parallel).
1 HP color laserjet 1500 (usb).
(x) More stuff (but I´ll deal with that later).

1) I installed cups and have the server up running.
2) I created an "account" in cups.
3) Restarted the cups server.
4) Logged in with Firefox (http://localhost:631)
5) Configured the two printers (as good as I could)

In this webb configuring "gui" :
When I print testpages I get nothing out of the printers.
When I look in the "managejobs" menu there´s never any "active" jobs,
but when I look in the "completed jobs" I´t says that the "job" is done.

I´ve read /var/log/cups/...
No warnings or errors are reported.

Any one that could give me a tip or two?

/Peo