raw printers cannot use file: devices

Binh Nguyen binh25 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 19:30:53 PDT 2006

> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 02:18:42AM -0400, Binh Nguyen wrote:
> > Hi all
> > I'm having problems getting cups(1.2.4) to work on Solaris 10 x86.
> > using raw printer via backend script
> >
> > I setup a printer called email and the uri for it is a script that will encode the file and email to me.
> >
> > lpadmin -p email -m raw  -v file:/email.sh
> > the printer configure ok but when I come to use it, i got this error
>
> What about doing this instead :
>
>         mv email.sh /usr/lib/cups/backend/
>
>         then restart CUPS, then :
>
>         lpadmin -p email -m raw -v email.sh://
>
> Then ensure your shell script conforms to CUPS' backend
> specifications (man backend). NB : you should probably
> ensure it works as a backend **before** putting it in
> /usr/lib/cups/backend/
>
> hth
>
> Jerome Alet

Jermone thanks for you input
lpadmin -p email -m raw -v email.sh:// doesnt work (complain about incorrect uri) but
lpadmin -p email -m raw -v email.sh works
now it has a different set of error...the print file said completed but it disappear into ether :( ... I dont get any email

but if I run the script manually the email arrive pretty much after a few seconds.

here is the sample of the jobs listing.

email2-25 Test Page guest 18k Unknown completed atFri Sep 29 12:20:38 2006
email2-24 hosts root 1k Unknown	 completed at Fri Sep 29 12:16:18 2006 	 email2-23 hosts root 1k Unknown	 completed a Fri Sep 29 12:12:11 2006