[cups.general] Accented letters dropped from text file

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 30 10:41:24 PDT 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 11:58, lists.cups-general at duinheks.xs4all.nl
wrote:
>Hallo,
>
>I'm running CUPS 1.2.4 under Linux SlackWare 10.2 with kernel 2.6.27,
>EPS GhostScript 8.15.rc, hplip 1.6.9.
>Both my printers:
>   HP LaserJet 1300 with "HP LJ 1300 Series PostScript", parallel port
>   HP PhotoSmart 7350 with "HP PhotoSmart 7350 Foomatic/hpijs", USB
>are exhibiting the same behavioour.
>When I print a plain text file with accented letters, the accented
>letters are skipped (replaced by spaces).
>What might be the problem and how could I solve it?

That sounds like a font substitution problem.  I'm not up on exactly how
its done, but gs will sub from its list of fonts, something it thinks is
suitable when an unknown font is used.  I haven't had that problem in
years here, but then I'm a trash font picker-upper, with probably a
hundred megs or more of oddball fonts installed where gs can find them, in
my case in /root/.fonts I believe.  YMMV of course.