Cups of Death

Stephen Grant stephen.grant at luxottica.com.au
Sun Sep 3 21:31:02 PDT 2006

Greetings all; your assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

We are using CUPS on a SuSE machine within a retail environment. We have a couple of printers including a receipt printer.  Here is the problem:

On rare occasions CUPS just dies. Attempting to restart CUPS does not work. It says is started, but when I perform service cups status it's not running.

In order to get things running again it's necessary to kill the files in /var/spool/cups, then and then it will start-up.

The error log in /var/log/cups is not very helpful either.  I can't figure out what is going on here as it appears to happen randomly.

I have created a TGZ file which has the offending C* and D* files as well as a copy of the error log file from /var/log/cups.  Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!  The file can be found at

http://www.fmdev.com.au/cupsstuff.tgz

Thanks in advance