[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1958: Incorrect character encoding

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Sep 4 22:44:26 PDT 2006

[STR New]

Mike said that in CUPS 1.2.x and higher, job's title and filename were
always encoded in UTF-8 :
http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s10031+gcups.general+v10038+T0

It seems it's not the case at least with CUPS 1.2.1 : the title
passed on the backend's command line is NOT encoded in UTF-8.

I printed using the lp command from an xterm, with a French locale using
the ISO-8859-15 charset.

The backend's command line received the title as I typed it in my
xterm as the argument to lp's -t command line option.

If I look at a dump of CUPS' /var/spool/cups/c00501 file, I've got
the confirmation :

    attributes-charset : utf-8
    attributes-natural-language : fr-fr at euro
    job-name : ab�c�daire
               (ISO-8859-15 equivalent to abécédaire)

Could each string coming from the end user be converted into UTF-8 (title,
filename...) or made consitent with the attributes-charset ?

Should the filename conversion occur or not ? Couldn't this break some
filters and/or backends when printing in raw mode ?

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1958
Version: 1.2-current