Unicode character in PJL job title

Stefan Rijnhart stefan.rijnhart at milieudefensie.nl
Tue Sep 5 02:32:37 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Using a Kyocera KM-2030 in PCL mode with a vendor supplied PPD with cups 1.2.2. Also occurs when using a Brother 5170DN.

When printing a webpage with a Unicode character in its title from Mozilla Firefox, the character ends up in the PJL job title. Upon encountering this character, the printer starts printing one line or so of the PJL header before aborting.

The unicode character seem to violate the PJL specs, which I think allows ASCII values {9,32-255} only. My question is, is this a Cups problem or a Firefox problem?

Regards,
Stefan.