[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1970: lpoptions unable to set a basic printer setting

Ryan Lovett bugs at spacecoaster.org
Fri Sep 8 14:39:51 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I'm trying set the default behavior of a spool to be duplex. If I run

  # lpoptions -d pr1 -l

I see, among other things,

  Duplex/2-Sided Printing: *None DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble

I tried:

  # lpoptions -o Duplex/2-Sided\ Printing=DuplexNoTumble

but that puts

  Default pr1 Duplex/2-Sided=true Printing=DuplexNoTumble

into /etc/cups/lpoptions. I also tried quoting in several ways without
success. I then decided to put

  Default pr1 Duplex/2-Sided Printing=DuplexNoTumble

into lpoptions but that had no effect on the actual behavior of the
printer. I then tried

  Default pr1 sides=two-sided

but that had no effect either. Using the web interface in the past, I
recall you could set this behavior. The web interface would set this by
modifying the PPD directly rather than creating/modifying an lpoptions
file. The current web interface is giving me trouble (I'll save that for
another bug) so I wanted to try the command line. Is this possible at all?

The OS is Ubuntu 6.06.01 running cupsys 1.2.2. I'm using the standard
configuration plus LogLevel set to debug.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1970
Version: 1.2.2