cups flooding access_log

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Sep 11 12:52:47 PDT 2006

G Zazu wrote:
> A recent search turned up the following reported related bug fix for
> debian:
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-cups...n/?rev=154&sc=1.
>
> Was this debian fix based upon a known problem and fix in the general
> cups code? I've had to disable cups until I can find a resolution.

There are two changes in this patch; the first (the logging of IPP
operations in the error_log file) is available in a slightly different
form in the official CUPS release.

The second (removing the logging of IPP operations from access_log)
is not part of the official CUPS release, and will *never* be part
of the official CUPS release because it effectively disables the
audit log provided by the access_log file, an important security
feature!

The default log file size of 1MB will prevent CUPS from filling up
the disk, and any issues with the number of requests issued by the
GNOME desktop icon need to be raised with the GNOME printing folks...