[cups.development] [RFE] STR #1991: Per-User Printer Access

Jonathan Anderson jonathan.anderson at ieee.org
Fri Sep 29 05:24:46 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I administer the computers in a graduate lab. I'm trying to roll out more
Linux desktops, but people aren't going to accept them as "regular
computers" if they can't print to the University printers.

The computers in question belong to the lab, and I have root / Local Admin
access on them. The printers belong to the school, I have no admin access,
and users have to pay for their printing. The protocol is SMB.

On a Windows machine, a user connects to the printer using NT credentials.
On Linux, however, I need to supply a username and password in
/etc/cups/printers.conf. Thus, any user that prints will be doing so with
*my* print credits (and grad students do a lot of printing).

So... I need to be able to add a printer as root (to
/etc/cups/printers.conf, for example) in order to pick the right driver,
and then let *users* somehow specify their NT username/password when they
actually try to use it.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1991
Version:  -feature