Windows Clients don't appear to know margins

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Mon Apr 2 04:41:28 PDT 2007

> > You did not tell which procedure you used to
> >
> >   (a) store the PostScript drivers into Samba
> >   (b) install the PostScript drivers into the Windows clients
> >
> > Did you use "cupsaddsmb" and "point+print"?
>
> Yes.
>
> > > Or is there a problem with my config?
> >
> > I assume that you have used (buggy) PPDs on your Linux box that contain zero margins for the respective paper sizes.
> >
> > Use a text editor to look at the PPD in /etc/cups/ppd/your_printername.ppd.
> > Search for "ImageableArea" lines. There (indirectly) the 4 margins for
> > the respective size are defined.
>
> Hrmm.. are you saying that I have to set up the margins for each paper size?

No, I'm saying the margins need to be defined in the PPD. Whoever gave
you the PPD should have done it.

Maybe there are new versions available?

[....]

> My PPD files have a Margins setting which was inserted by the
> alignmargins script. That's not correct?

I don't know what your alignmargins script did. In any case, it should
not be needed if you have a PPD that does what its name says:
"... Printer Description".

The margins in the PPD need to match the physical capabilities of
your device. (If you define zero margins in the PPD, your device may
just crop the page image to where its physical imageable area ends).

> > To correct the problem, on the CUPS/Samba side follow these steps:
> >
> >   (1) Make sure all PPDs in /etc/cups/ppd/ contain correct margin
> >       definitions.
> >   (2) Make sure you follow the instructions in "man cupsaddsmb".
> >   (3) Export the PostScript driver files + the PPDs to Samba (either
> >       using the CUPS web interface, or the command line "cupsaddsmb -H
> >       localhost -v -a"
>
> Except for step 1, that describes what I did..

I also asked you to check the PPDs on the Windows clients. Do they
contain margin definitions on their "*ImageableArea" lines or not?

I also asked you to delete the printers and the drivers on the Windows
clients and re-install them.

So, no, you didn't follow the steps I described.

Some Windows client versions can be quite bitchy when comes to updating
printer drivers. They tell you they'll update everything alright, but
then they silently they pull out their old PPD from some caching storage
and just re-use that.

Cheers,
Kurt

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant -- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS