Windows Clients don't appear to know margins

Shawn Foo shawn.foo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 20:27:44 PDT 2007

> > > I assume that you have used (buggy) PPDs on your Linux box that contain zero margins for the respective paper sizes.
> > >
> > > Use a text editor to look at the PPD in /etc/cups/ppd/your_printername.ppd.
> > > Search for "ImageableArea" lines. There (indirectly) the 4 margins for
> > > the respective size are defined.
> >
> > Hrmm.. are you saying that I have to set up the margins for each paper size?
>
> No, I'm saying the margins need to be defined in the PPD. Whoever gave
> you the PPD should have done it.

But there are ImageableArea's for different paper sizes. e.g.:

*ImageableArea A1:"36 36 1648 2249"
*ImageableArea A2:"36 36 1155 1549"
*ImageableArea A3:"36 36 806 1056"
*ImageableArea A4:"135 36 559 806"
etc.. including a stack of "+", ANSI, B, JIS and ARCH sizes and custom sizes.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I decided to install the native windows drivers and configure cups to print raw and push the native drivers instead. That seems to work better with less fuss. There is a weird problem where jobs appear to hang around in the print queue even though they've been successfully printed, but that's minor..

Shawn