[cups.general] gs-esp: ERROR: /undefined in --get--

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Apr 9 08:48:56 PDT 2007

Helge Blischke wrote:
> That is a known bug in ESP gs 8.15 which uses "space" as the
> substitution glyph
> instead of the ".notdef" required by the specs, but fails to make sure that
> the space glyph is defined even in subsetted fonts the used subset of which
> lacks the space glyph.
>
> File a bug for ESP gs

Please don't.  We already had a bug open on this and decided the
simplest solution was to revert to the .notdef glyph in 8.15.4.  You
can still select space as the replacement character...

The problem is that the PDF file's embedded font is broken (missing
a required character), so what you'll see is the standard Ghostscript
..notdef glyph which is usually a box character.  The original reporter
(Tim Waugh) had suggested that we try both space and .notdef, but that
proved to be too complicated for a fork that will no longer be
maintained...

FWIW, all future Ghostscript development is happening in the official
(GPL) Ghostscript tree, so any bugs should be reported on
ghostscript.com; I'll be removing the ESP Ghostscript bug report page
from cups.org in the near future...