IPP printing to HP 5610

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Apr 18 03:19:50 PDT 2007

Rouble wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have installed an HP 5610 on a FC6 linux server. I have setup cups to allow network printing to this printer. There is no samba in this installation.
>
> So, I can now print via IPP to:
> http:/example.com:631/printers/printername
>
> This works great.
>
> My issue is installing the drivers on multiple Windows XP boxes is a pain. Even if install all the _huge_ executables that come with HP5610, I can't see the driver in the list of drivers, when I add a printer.
>
> My questions:
> - I thought that the driver would probably be like a small file. Do I really need to download and install HP's 300 MB files, everytime I want to install this network printer?
>
> - Is there a way I can push the HP5610 driver to the client pc's?
>
> - Is there another generic driver that I can use to print to this printer?
>
> tia,
> rouble

You could get two Perl scripts if you like that create a
directory containing an .inf file and the printer's PPD
(modified as for the CUPS6 drivers for Windows). This approach
allows you to install your CUPS printer's similar to cupsaddsmb
without using SAMBA.

But you need to modify the script slightly, as the PPD modifications
apply to the option set of the "alternate pstops filter".

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung