[cups.general] Debian Etch CUPS errors: cupsdAuthorize: Noauthentication data

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Thu Apr 19 10:11:14 PDT 2007

> Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:01:27 -0400
> From: Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com>
> Subject: Re: [cups.general] Debian Etch CUPS errors: cupsdAuthorize:
> 	Noauthentication data
> To: cups at easysw.com
>
> Chess Griffin wrote:
>> D [17/Apr/2007:21:17:02 -0400] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data
>> provided.
>  > ...
>> These "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided" errors just keep
>> repeating over and over.  What does that error mean?
>
> It is not an error.  The "D" on the start of the line indicates it
> is a *debug* message, and completely normal when handling a request
> that is not authenticated.

Thank you for the clarification.  I am unclear on how to address this
authentication issue.  This is just a home network so my security needs
are minimal.  I have selected the various checkboxes in the
Administration tab of the CUPS web-GUI to share printers etc.  As I
mentioned in my first post, the printers are seen from the clients,
print jobs are sent from the clients, but they are not processed by the
server.  I cannot seem to find the documentation on this authentication
issue and Googling for "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided"
just turns up lots of questions with no answers.

Any assistance or pointers in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you.
--
Chess Griffin