MS WORD Filter for CUPS

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Apr 19 11:28:42 PDT 2007

nvngyl wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have developed a custom backend and backend.conf and a global .ppd file. I have associated it with CUPS and installed it with a new printer name. It is working fine when i print any MS Office file by opening it or by right click option. But when i try to print MS office files using command line ie lp -d <PRINTER> msword.doc file. I am using iMAC machine with 10.4 version. Please let me know if somebody has an idea.
>
> regards
> nvngyl

You could download and install openoffice (version 2.2 has been
releases recently), set up a special printer using
the spadm utility (select Acrobat Distiller as PPD
and set /usr/bin/cat as the print command, and tag this
printer as default printer),
then hack a script which conforms to CUPS' filter spec,
which needs do to the following:

SAL_DISABLE_CUPS=1; export SAL_DISABLE_CUPS
soffice -invisible -p name_of_the_word_document

(I'm too lazy to hack the complete script in here).

Of course you need to add this stuff to the mime.types
and mime.convs files (or your own foo.types and foo.convs)
accordingly.

I have tested the mentioned basics; it works for OO 2.x
(x >= 0).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke