[cups.general] Debian Etch CUPS errors: cupsdAuthorize: Noauthentication data SOLVED

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Fri Apr 20 20:19:30 PDT 2007

>>> D [17/Apr/2007:21:17:02 -0400] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data
>>> provided.
>>  > ...
>>> These "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided" errors just keep
>>> repeating over and over.  What does that error mean?
>> It is not an error.  The "D" on the start of the line indicates it
>> is a *debug* message, and completely normal when handling a request
>> that is not authenticated.
>>

> Thank you for the clarification.  I am unclear on how to address this
> authentication issue.  This is just a home network so my security needs
> are minimal.  I have selected the various checkboxes in the
> Administration tab of the CUPS web-GUI to share printers etc.  As I
> mentioned in my first post, the printers are seen from the clients,
> print jobs are sent from the clients, but they are not processed by the
> server.  I cannot seem to find the documentation on this authentication
> issue and Googling for "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided"
> just turns up lots of questions with no answers.
>
> Any assistance or pointers in the right direction would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

Ok, I am a dummy.  :-)  This was not a CUPS problem at all.  There is a
bug in Etch's gnome-cups-manager that prevents test pages from printing.
  I thought it was a server problem when it was a client problem.
Printing from other clients like a web browser works fine.

My apologies for the clutter to the list.  Thanks for your assistance.

Chess

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Public Key:  0x0C7558C3