Cannot print on Windows network

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Tue Apr 24 08:27:18 PDT 2007

> I run cups 1.2.8 on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. At work i try to connect to a Oce printer over the network, but i can't get it to work. According to my company the printer is located thorugh an url that looks like this: http://po.myorganisation.com/printers/PrinterName/.printer
>
> In Cups i connect using the ipp protocol, and fill in the url.
>
> I can't get it to print though.
>
> When i want to that printer on Windows i need to fill in a username and password. Where can i do that in Cups?

The only way to do this *may* currently be by embedding the username+password into the URL like this:

   http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@po.myorganisation.com/printers/PrinterName/.printer

The drawback of this method is that it will expose the USERNAME+PASSWORD to all local users who call the process list ("ps" command), or who sniff the network traffic. (You may want to ask your company IT admins to create a special, generic user who is allowed to use that printer ["printguest"] so you keep your own username+password uncovered.

MS doesn't implement IPP 1.1 (the only "real" IPP standard), but IPP 1.0 (which remained a "draft"). They don't use port 631, but port 80, and for authentication they use NTLM and their own proprietary method.

Cheers,
Kurt

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant -- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS