[cups.general] change of default printing, despite localhost settings

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Wed Apr 25 14:22:54 PDT 2007

Michael:

On a different note. I went snooping around in my
/etc/cups/ppd/sethlaser.ppd file, looking for the keyword Manual, thinking
that if i found a manual entry, it might hold the key for my
one-page-at-a-time dilemma.

I found *cupsManualCopies: True and then read that often it is normally set
to False. I reset it from True to False.

Minutes before doing THAT I had printed several text documents to
'sethlaser' the system default printer, per localhost:631 and they all
automatically routed to the laser printer.

AFTER changing this one file in sethlaser.ppd, suddenly now, all print jobs,
unless SPECIFICALLY directed to sethlaser with -P sethlaser or -d sethlaser
as the case dictates, went to 'deskjet' a locally attached jet printer......

Why in the hell, would messing with sethlaser.ppd affect default printing? I
did NOTHING else in between, no upgrades, updates or any other changes.

Scott