[cups.general] usb/cups printer problem after upgrade

graham graham at theseamans.net
Fri Apr 27 01:43:17 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have a debian server running cups, with a wireless usb connector
connected to a remote Brother 5040 laser printer. It's always worked
fine, modulo a little crackle on the television when printing ;-)

After upgrading the server to etch (without any major problems), which
gives me cups 1.2.7, cups no longer sees the printer. Cups is running
ok, and knows about the printer, but the web interface always displays
the message:

" HL5040 (Default Printer) "Printer not connected; will retry in 30
seconds..."

lsusb shows that the printer is there, and visible over wireless:

snoopy: lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 13fd:0540
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 028: ID 04f9:0016 Brother Industries, Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

lsmod shows I have the usb modules:

snoopy: lsmod
<snip>
ehci_hcd               27144  0
ohci_hcd               17540  0
sis900                 21120  0
mii                     5376  1 sis900
usbcore               109444  5 usblp,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd

I guess this is yet another strangeness with changes to udev? Has anyone
else run into the same problem, or found a solution?

I've tried setting the log output to debug, but can't see anything
obviously related.

Thanks
Graham
PS I've posted a version of this to the debian users list; if I get a
solution there I'll post it back here, too