[cups.general] Printer does not show up in network

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Apr 27 01:55:59 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Apr 27 02:20 Axel Braun wrote (shortened):
> I upgraded (via new install) a PC from SuSE 10.0 to 10.2,
> now running CUPS 1.2.7

Up to Suse Linux 10.1 we had CUPS 1.1 and since openSUSE 10.2 we have
CUPS 1.2 which is not fully backward compatible with CUPS 1.1.

For example RunAsUser is no longer supported so that since
openSUSE 10.2 / CUPS 1.2 the cupsd runs as root and therefore
we are back to its  default "basic authentication" via system users
and system passwords (in /etc/shadow). Therefore
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Configuration_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.0_on
is partially outdated for openSUSE 10.2

Additionally by default cupsd in CUPS 1.2 listens only on internal
("localhost") network interfaces (and a Unix domain socket)
in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf:
# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
You must change it to listen on the outer network too.
Either add someting like "Listen IP.of.your.server", see
http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=#Listen
or use YaST via "Other" -> "Change remote access"
and make sure that you use the firewall to protect your host
if it is accessible from any untrusted network.

For general information regarding configuring CUPS
in the network have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

By the way:
In case of an update it is recommended not to use an outdated
cupsd.conf from a CUPS 1.1 installation before but to start
from scratch with the original cupsd.conf from our CUPS 1.2 RPM.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex