[cups.general] openoffice.org

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:17:38 PDT 2007

Helge Blischke wrote:
> In case there is interest: I wrote two CUPS filters
> treating OOo stuff:
>
> (1) oopstops
> 	a filter to sanitize the PostScript output
> 	generated by OpenOffice.org (tested with
> 	2.2, 2.1, and 2.2, but should work for 1.1.x
> 	also
> (2) officetops
> 	a filter that directly converts OOo writer documents
> 	(and, as far as handled correctly by OOo, Microsoft
> 	Word documents) to PostScript. The output needs to
> 	be routed through oopstops.
> 	This filter needs a special setup:
> 	- the environment variable SAL_DISABLE_CUPS set to some
> 	  nonempty value (e.g. 1),
> 	- a "default printer" (configured with spadmin) that uses
> 	  some "generic" PPD (e.g. the distiller 3 PPD that belongs
> 	  to the distro) and the print command set to "/usr/bin/cat"
> 	  to match CUPS's filter requirements.
> 	The filter is in essence a wrapper script (Perl) that calls
> 	soffice (the default startup script sinde OOo 2.x). It searches
> 	for a local X server and starts Xvfb if it can't find one, since
> 	OOo needs a X server to function.
>
> If there is sufficient interest, I'll publish the scripts and an english
> documentation on the web.
>
> Helge

Having these features in distros would be nice.

The first will easily work around the problem that the OOo folks do not
care about generating correct PostScript for many releases already. You
only need to define some auto-detection rool for a .types file so that
CUPS can distinguish between OOo PostScript and correct PostScript.

The second would be also great having the possibility that users can
simply send word files (from e-mail or after migration) to the printer.

I am interested. Post the scripts and the instructions.

    Till