81 mailto notifications per completed job when subscription contains "printer-modified"

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Apr 1 17:46:50 PDT 2007

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Is that how it is intended to work? Do these 80 messages stem from
 > the "printer-modified" setting in the Events line? I'd suspect the
 > bulk of these mails are intended to be generated by
 > "printer-state-changed" events, but the above subscriptions.conf
 > does not subscribe to these...

printer-modified includes printer-state-changed...

> P.S.: another thing: Events "server-restarted", "server-started"
>       and "server-stopped" don't seem to be covered by this
>       subscription -- at least no mails are generated. A configuration
>       mistake?

Right now we're not generating those events, and (in the case of
restart and stop) we don't keep the notifiers around long enough
to actually have the notifier do the delivery.  I'm hoping to have
that resolved in 1.3.0.

> P.S.S.: Hmmm.... I just notice that it looks like
>         "printer-media-changed" and "printer-finishings-changed" are
>         not valid events for subscription events. Can't remember which
>         template gave me the idea to use those.... Anyway, removing
>         these from the Events line didn't reduce may mass of
>         notification mails.

Right, those events are triggered when the corresponding media or
finishing options are changed on the printer side, i.e. roll-fed
printer media changes, or changes in the available finishing
options...  However, since CUPS doesn't track those things, we
can't generate those events...

> P.S.T.: The guilty entry in the line is "printer-modified". If that is
>         removed, no more ${manymanymany} mails are sent per job.
>         Either this is a bug -- or it works as designed when "printer-
>         modified" refers to any internal state change of the queue.
>         But then it should be more explicitely documented. To me (not
>         having re-read the IPP specs), printer-modified sounds like
>         one of the operations that are possible when clicking on the
>         "Modify Printer" button in the web interface.

printer-modified includes printer-state-changed...

> Shall I file a bug report?

No sense right now, but feel free to put together a wish list of
finer-grained events to monitor, event filters, etc.