Preview Print Jobs (get job from server?)

Ken Tanzer ktanzer at desc.org
Tue Apr 10 16:48:22 PDT 2007

> You *could* develop a CGI program that reads the spool files for a
> job and produces a preview image/PDF file.  This could then be
> linked from the jobs.tmpl file to provide the preview functionality
> you want.  However, keep in mind that you would have to handle any
> security/access control yourself...

We wrote a PHP script to do exactly that, but I can't figure out how to get our script invoked.  Following the documentation, I created an /etc/cups/cgi.types with the following line:

application/x-httpd-php php

And I tried copying our file (preview.php) into /usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin.  I've given it both a .cgi and a .php extension (and restarted CUPS), and tried the URL with our without a ".cgi" at the end, but I continue to get a "404 Not Found" error.

Please tell me what I'm missing!  Thanks.

Ken